Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dark Chocolate Brownies


I'm late AGAIN!!!!  *Sigh*

Oh to be one of those who is always on time...or even early!  Some good friends of ours has a daughter who recently got engaged.  The engaged couple live in Florida but just came to Texas for an engagement party/wedding shower.  The photo on the right is a picture of the couple.  Aren't they cute together?!  Anyway, I told her mom that I would help her out with the party.  My plan was to go over to their house a little after lunch to help get the house ready for the party.  Well, my oldest son had a fever and I couldn't go anywhere.  I had to wait until my husband got home from work before I could leave.  Another issue with that was that I couldn't go to the grocery store to get ingredients to take a desert I said I would bring!  I took a look through my recipes and pulled out my trusty brownie recipe that has been my 'go to' recipe lately when I need something quick but don't have time to go to the store.  I originally found the recipe on allrecipes.com.  The bride really liked them and asked that I pass on the recipe to her.  So in honor of the bride... (Sing along.  You know you want to.) Here comes the brownieeeeeeees!  All dark and chocolatyyyyyyyyyyyy! ;-)

This is the word for word recipe as I found it, I will note my changes at the bottom.

Brownies
Prep Time: 25 Minutes; Cook Time: 25 Minutes; Ready in 50 minutes; Serves 16


1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder




Frosting: 
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
powder
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar





  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).  Grease and flour and 8 inch square pan.
  • In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter.  Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder.  Spread batter into prepared pan.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.  Do not overcook.
  • To make frosting: Combine 3 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar.  Frost brownies while they are still warm.
My tips for this recipe:
  • I use dark chocolate cocoa powder vs. the regular.  (Have I ever mentioned that I dig chocolate?)
  • When adding eggs, be sure that your egg whites don't cook in the hot butter.  Ew.  Just keep stirring them so they don't have time to sit.
  • Mix your frosting while the brownies are baking so that it will be ready when your brownies are. =)
  • In the frosting, I like to use tub margarine vs. butter.  It spreads and melts easier.  
  • When adding the confectioners' sugar, don't dump the entire cup at once in your frosting.  Add a little bit at a time so that you don't pour too much sugar in.  Too much sugar will make it impossible to spread.  Trust me...I tried it. :-/   You know you have reached the right consistency when you can no longer drizzle it.
  • I also like to add about a 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to the frosting.  Yummmmm!
This recipe has been Nathan approved!
The Girl Creative

It's a Blog Party

2 comments:

  1. You wanna come to my house with some of those brownies? PLEASE! They look de-e-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum. I {heart} frosted brownies, dark-chocolate cocoa, and anything with almond extract. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails