Thursday, July 21, 2011

Heal Ear Infections...The Natural Way

Several weeks back, I mentioned that I have become VERY interested in natural living topics and expanding At Home With Haley to include some of them.  Don't worry, I'm not cutting out sugar in my recipes...yet. ;-)  I'm happy to say that this is my first post to introduce a natural remedy.  I'm so excited to share with you the natural way to heal ear infections.  I am a regular reader at Mommypotamus.  Heather has a wonderful blog and talks all about natural living.  Back in February, she hosted a guest post by Katja Swift, a clinical herbalist, called Spice Rack Remedies for Cold & Flu Season.  I can honestly say that this is when I became a believer in "Spice Rack Remedies".  The very next night after I read that blog post, my 4 year old, Nathan, woke up crying in his bed.  I went to check on him and brought him into my bedroom when he told me that his ear hurt.  Automatically, I got up in search for the pain killer meds.  Wouldn't you know we were out?!  That kind of stuff only happens when you really need it.  I then remembered seeing this in the article on Mommypotamus, written by Katja Swift:



"As a child, I was particularly prone to ear infections, but no one figured out that I have a dairy allergy until I was an adult. If your child has recurrent ear infections, make sure to consider eliminating dairy products, or gluten, or both – they are often the root of the problem.
But whatever the cause, my favorite remedy is something you probably already have in your kitchen: Onion! Slice an onion in rings about 3/4 of an inch thick. Sauté lightly in olive oil, until it’s hot all the way through and softening. Wrap the onion slice in a clean soft cloth and lay it on the ear like a heating pad – be sure to test the heat first so that little ears don’t burn.
Why does it work? The sulfur in the onion is carried into the ear via the steam, and kills the infection. Also, the heat is soothing, especially when the infection is painful. Always treat both ears, as ear infections can travel back and forth between ears via the interior canals. Repeat as often as necessary – I usually find that doing this every few hours for a day is enough to end the infection altogether."


How cool is that?!  So I marched myself into the kitchen and started slicing onions.  I then remembered reading once before that garlic is a natural antibiotic....so, I chopped a clove up and threw that in the pan as well.  Within minutes of placing the cloth with the onions and garlic inside on Nathan's ear, he stopped crying.  =)  First thing the next morning, I made him another batch of what my sister likes to call my "Earth Mother Medicine".  If he complained of his ear hurting at all between treatments, I went ahead and made more.  As a matter of fact, he started saying, "I need my onions."  By the following day, he had no more pain and the ear infection was gone!!!  
I have used the same treatment on my other 2 children and myself with success.  Even more fun, my sister who lovingly nicknamed this as my "Earth Mother Medicine" tried it on her 5 year old who has had major problems with ear infections.  Guess what?  It worked for her too!  This remedy definitely receives 2 thumbs up from the At Home With Haley household! 


Disclaimer:
I know that my readers are the most intelligent ones out there, but...this has to be done.  I am not a doctor or in the medical profession in any form.  Our experiences are our own and I am blogging about a treatment that worked for my family and me. This particular treatment may not work for you...although I hope it does.

This post is linked up at this fun party:
  

6 comments:

  1. Wow this is interesting! That sure beats taking meds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that remedy! I use Young Living essential oils for my go to remedies, but I will definitely put this on my list and share with others! Perfect! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm so thankful, my 16 month old baby has had a cold for the past 4 days and he's beginning go pull on his ears. I'm almost sure his ears are fighting an ear infection. I'll give this a try and report on this later! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got diagnose of herpes virus last year, and i was taking some drugs prescribed for me by my family doc the drugs could not work and the herpes in my system was very terrifying that i was so depressed the good news is that i never gave up in searching for natural cure for herpes virus ,cause i believe so much in herbal medication.. One faithful morning i read a comment from a lady called Destiny Hudson on how she was cured with natural herbs made by DR.OYAGU from somewhere is West Africa, i immediately copied out his contact email via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com and explain all my herpes problem to him via his email. the big truth is that it took just two week for his herbal medication to cure me completely without side affect. Till date am herpes virus free and all thanks to Dr OYAGU for his good deeds for me, Once again am very happy to share this great testimony of DR OYAGU cure hurry up now and contact him via his email address (oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com Call & WhatsApp him on (+2348101755322 ) and see what he can do

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to testify to everyone on how my husband and i got children after our 5 years of marriage. we got married and we could not conceive a child we have been to several hospitals for checking and the doctors always say that we are okay that nothing is wrong with us, we have been hoping for a child, my husband was beginning to keep late night outside and pressure from the family for him to marry another wife and divorce me, i was always crying and weeping because i was loosing my marriage. so i visited my friend in Florida and she told me that she also have been through this same situation but she got her help of getting pregnant from a Herbal Doctor of fertility,, so she told me that she will connect me to the Herbal Doctor and he will prepare a FERTILITY HERBAL SOAP for me to have my own child, i spent 4days with her in Florida and we both email the Herbal Doctor and he said i should bring all my information to him and he said in 3days the Fertility soap will be prepared and he will send/ship it to me through UPS, after I used it as he instructed, so i waited and i went back made love with my husband and i conceive. so i am very grateful to the Herbal Doctor for his help and miracle that help me save my marriage. please for same help getting pregnant, contact him on zicoherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails