Monday, January 17, 2011

Klobasnek (Sausage in a Roll)

A while back, I posted a recipe for Kolaches.  Kolaches are a Czech sweet roll with a fruit or cream cheese filling.  I don't know if there are enough ways to say that these are DELICIOUS!  In that post, I went on a crazy rant (I do that sometimes) about how sometimes people will give you a "kolache" with a sausage.  (Donut shops are the worst offender of this heinous crime.)  This is NOT a kolache.  The correct term would be a klobasnek.  In English, we usually say "pig in a blanket".  The difference is that a "pig in a blanket" is typically more of a flaky biscuit dough wrapped around a cocktail sausage whereas a klobasnek is a typical yeasted roll around bigger sausage.  The key to making a good klobasnek is the sausage you use.  People put a variety of different sausages in their klobasnek, like stuffed cheese, stuffed cheese & jalapeño, or just a typical sausage.  Most Czechs would probably scoff at the ones I made because I used a Hillshire Farm sausage.  I'm afraid the type I used is escaping my memory and they don't have them listed on their website.  Seriously?!  (I knew I should have written it down.)  Anyway, they are found near the smoked sausage links.  They are bigger than cocktail sausages, but smaller than their bun sized sausages and come in packages of 12.  I'm thinking they are about 3-4" in length.  They are the perfect size for this recipe and you will need 2 packages.  For the bread, I used the same recipe as the Perfect Dinner Rolls.  These can be used as breakfast or snacks.  I'm considering taking them to a Super Bowl party.  Trust me on this...you will NOT be disappointed!

*Edit*  I discovered why Hillshire Farm doesn't have the sausages I used on their website.  Um...it's because the sausages I used are Eckrich brand.  *insert sheepish smile here*  They are called Eckrich Smok-Y-links.  

Klobasnek
2 - 12 count packages of Hillshire Farm sausages (see above for a better description)

1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon instant yeast
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 cups all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into measuring cup, then leveled off


In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes.

To the yeast mixture, add the oil, salt, and 2 cups of the flour - on low speed with the paddle attachment incorporate the flour to create a wet, sticky mixture. Still on low speed, add 1 cup of the remaining flour and incorporate. Switch to the dough hook and add the remaining 1 cup flour. On low speed, mix the dough to incorporate the final addition of flour until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough in the bowl - turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 20 -30 minutes.  These steps can also be done by hand.  You do not have to have a mixer for this recipe.  

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently deflate into a rectangle. Cut it in half vertically, then each half vertically again into thirds so you have 6 equal strips of dough. Cut each strip of dough into fourths by cutting horizontally to make 24 little squares of dough.


Take a square of dough into the palm of your hand then wrap it around a sausage leaving the ends of the sausage exposed.  Pinch the seams tightly and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Cover the klobasneks in the pan with a lightly greased piece of plastic wrap and let rise to double while your oven is preheating to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) - about 20 minutes. If you want an even more golden color to the rolls, brush them with a little melted butter before baking. Bake for 13-15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!



14 comments:

  1. These looks so great for picnics or a handheld lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely Lisa! They are excellent dipped in mustard. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest to the deliciousness! I got to eat a couple of these this weekend, thanks Haley! They were great and freeze well, also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Kolaches and now Klobasnek. Your awesome, around here we call them all pigs in the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely....they look delicious! :P

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not had breakfast yet but I want my lunch now. This looks delicious.

    Would you link it to Let's Do Brunch. It would be perfect for that.

    http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2011/01/lets-do-brunch-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can eat these until I am actually in pain....Love 'em and yours look great!

    Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You put a sausage in just about anything, and I'll be there. It's just how I roll, love me some savory food. When I was a kid, there was a shop we went to that you could either get apple turnovers, or sausage ones, and the sausage were always better. Thanks for linking up with the Hearth and Soul hop. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super bowl party? I'm in :-)
    These look like the perfect friday favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You! I am Czech and live in Texas and it drives me crazy when people call them Kolaches! They are also really good when you use Czech Sausage in them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this thread is over a year old, but I just have to say that I just made these. I only did a half batch because I always worry when I try new recipes.. I'm really disappointed that I did because these were AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just wanted to clear something up about Texans calling Klobasnek kolache. During the mid-to-late 19th century there was an influx of Czech workers immigrating to central and southeast Texas. In need of quick breakfasts and lunches they could eat on the go with no plates or utensils and that reminded them of home, they started creating klobasnek. For an unknown reason, *they themselves* called them kolache when their non-Czech co-workers asked what they were. After floating around for about 30 years, they started gaining traction, mostly centered around Dallas and Houston (where I live now), and the kolache name stuck. They have been a staple here for nearly 100 years, and it is believed from here they started making their way to other areas, where they met up with more recent Czech immigrants who knew their original name. But basically, you really can't say the name is wrong in Texas because they became something else here and have been known by only that name for genrations. Do we not call American pizza "pizza", even though Italians would not consider it the same thing (supposedly we commit unforgivable topping atrocities in their eyes)? Usage and common understanding determines name, not tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All pigs in the blanket, Jenna? Haha! Well, that sounds cute! :D I have a Czech officemate before and she made a sumptuous Klobasnek for the whole department. I just don’t know what made it really delicious. Maybe it was the sausage or maybe she had a secret ingredient? Hehe! Anyway, I really enjoyed it.

    Alex Staff

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have spent all day making these. Fantastic. I work in a bakery in texas where my boss keeps his dough recipe secret so this is great to have. I'd say buttering before the second rise and after they're done baking are musts. I'm going to try trading out half the water for milk see what happens. Either way! so great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails