Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Perfect Dinner Rolls


Since I started making bread, I have searched for the perfect dinner roll recipe.  I have made several that were good, but none that I was in love with.  On Thanksgiving, I offered to bring the rolls to my in laws house and found a Golden Corral copycat.  They smelled so good, we sat down, prayed for the good Lord to bless our food, we reached in and grabbed a few.  The results?  Well...not Golden Corral rolls.  Boo!  As a matter of fact, they had to have been the worst rolls I've ever made.  I was so annoyed with myself for not trying them before we went.  I just assumed that they would be good to go.  From that day, I decided that I was going to find the best roll recipe.  A girl's gotta redeem herself somehow.  Anyway, I was playing on the internet the other day and found Holly at Phe.MOM.enon.  As of this week, Holly is my new favorite person.   She posted the most delicious recipe back in November of '09.  To think that it's been there all this time and I never knew it.  Well, my friends, you too can make some yummy rolls!  Another great thing about them is that they are food allergy friendly, no eggs or milk.  =)  Holly has on her blog that they are 1 Bowl, 1 Hour, Perfect Dinner Rolls.  For me, it was 1 bowl...but not quite 1 hour.  It's not because it can't be done in 1 hour.  It's because I'm slow. =)  It took a little closer to 2 hours for me.  Granted that the weather is so cold and it took a little longer for the rolls to rise than what Holly said it should.  The following is the recipe word for word from Holly at Phe.MOM.enon.  My tips will be posted below the recipe.



Perfect Dinner Rolls


1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon instant yeast
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 cups all-purpose flour, lightly spooned into measuring cup, then leveled off

In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let stand until creamy, about 5 minutes.

To the yeast mixture, add the oil, salt, and 2 cups of the flour - on low speed with the paddle attachment incorporate the flour to create a wet, sticky mixture. Still on low speed, add 1 cup of the remaining flour and incorporate. Switch to the dough hook and add the remaining 1 cup flour. On low speed, mix the dough to incorporate the final addition of flour until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Turn the speed to medium and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough in the bowl - turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 20 -30 minutes.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently deflate into a rectangle. Cut it in half vertically, then each half vertically again into thirds so you have 6 equal strips of dough. Cut each strip of dough into fourths by cutting horizontally to make 24 little squares of dough. Take each piece of dough and cup it lightly under the palm of your hand on a clean surface. Press lightly and start rotating and rolling the dough ball quickly so that it forms a nice little ball of dough. Once you get some practice, you can do this with both hands at the same time and really speed up the process.

Place each rolled piece of dough into a lightly greased 9x13 baking pan in rows of 4 about 1/2-inch apart. Cover the rolls in the pan with a lightly greased piece of plastic wrap and let rise to double while your oven is preheating to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) - about 20 minutes. If you want an even more golden color to the rolls, brush them with a little melted butter before baking. Bake for 13-15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!

My tips for this recipe:
  • I doubled the amount of sugar in this recipe.  I like my rolls sweet. =)
  • A honey butter glaze would be nice on these rolls too.
  • My KitchenAid stand mixer says to not use the dough hook past speed #2...so I never turned mine on to medium.  I was nervous about doing that.  
  • There's nothing else to tip...these are perfect!


Linking up at these fun parties:



24 comments:

  1. Thank you! I tried a new roll recipe for Thanksgiving and I was so disappointed! I can't wait to try these! YAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good. Bread is a definite weakness for me so I'll have to save this to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Haley! It certainly was a little tricky tracking you down! LOL you linked up to the hearth and soul hop, but made a bit of mistake and linked this recipe through glittler, glitz and glam. I can change the link so that you get the click through, but please change the back link above. If you click it it takes you not to a moderate life but to glitter glitz and glam who did not link up to me. Thanks and your rolls look lovely! All the best! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Haley! So glad we got it all straightened out! I am now following your blog and I want to welcome you personally to the hearth and soul hop! These rolls look so soft and delicious! Your photo is really very good! Thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week! All the best! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow -- those look like amazing dinner rolls. Love their nice brown color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a great recipe! I don't make bread/rolls very often but I would like to and you post is inspiring! Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Tuesdays.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pictures like this, of dinner rolls, make my heart skip a beat! Im bookmarking this recipe while I drool on my keyboard over here(havent even had lunch yet, pity me!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking fantastic!!! I love a good and hot roll!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every roll recipe I try bombs so I'm going to try these...they look pretty easy. Found you on Kara's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love rolls, these look so good, Haley! Thank you so much for sharing them at Anything Related!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The 'perfect dinner roll' ~ what more could you ask for in the world. I have some special peach jam I'd have to slather on.
    Yummy!
    Another friday's favorite for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Haley - I am SUCH a fan of breads - could never do an Atkins or South Beach myself, it would be torture! Warm from the oven bread is such a treat - thank you for sharing!
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks y'all! I hope that you love them as much as I do! Please report back and let me know what you think! Also, a special welcome to those of you visiting from Angela's blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tried these on Monday. They went together easily and had a great texture. But I find there is something missing...I'll be trying my DILs recipe soon...I like the taste of hers...I'll have to remind myself what they taste like...sorry, I won't be making these again. Not bad, but just not great taste wise...
    Hope you don't mind an honest opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @free indeed - I prefer honesty! =) I'm sorry that you weren't thrilled with them. Just curious, what did you think was missing? I hope your DIL's recipe works better for you. Thanks for reporting back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look amazing! I've never made homemade rolls before but I am glad to have come across this post so when I do I choose this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey! the only difference between your posted above and my grandmothers is that she uses shortening, not vegetable oil! lololol. and yes, I agree.. it's a wonderful recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made these for my family at Thanksgiving and they went crazy over them. Multiple family members came up to specifically comment about the rolls, and my grandpa said he hadn't had rolls that good since his mother passed away. You can't get much higher praise than that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made these last night.... they were wonderful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this recipe. I use it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stumbled upon your recipe when searching for a recipe that needed no eggs! I'm out! LOL. I am about to try it right now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Turned out great for me! I did make a couple small adjustments though - replaced the oil with unsalted butter and when I rolled the dough out, I slathered softened butter onto it before folding into individual rolls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Voila! You've ended my search for an eggless dinner roll recipe. I can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails