Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Healthy-er No Bake Cookies



Yay for week 3 of the official Month of Cookies on At Home With Haley!!!  OK, so I have made no bake cookies many times.  And every time I do, I think about all of the possibilities to make my recipe healthier.  My husband and I are trying more and more to eat with less hydrogenated, high fructose-d, foods.  And I figured that it was worth a shot.  The problem is that I'm usually making them to take somewhere and am afraid to experiment.  Alright!  You've got me.  That's not why I haven't tried it.  It's because I'm afraid to experiment while doing any sort of baking.  *Hanging my head in shame*  I do really well at following a recipe, but I'm afraid to branch out.  It's funny because when I'm cooking dinner, I experiment all of the time!  For some reason I'm nervous when it comes to flour and sugar.  But today...I did it!  I put my toe to the line and tried it.  Now I realize that NO BAKE cookies isn't baking...but it's a start!  I adapted this recipe from one that my aunt gave me years ago.  I have no idea where it came from so I can't credit it anywhere.  I realized that after I finished the cookies that I forgot to put vanilla in them. (oops!) But I think they are fine without it.  If you try it with vanilla, let me know how it turns out!  The result?  A pretty tasty cookie!  It has a honey flavor, which I'm all over.  And I don't have to feel totally guilty if I eat 2...OK...4. =)  Now the downside.  I guess this is what happens when you experiment.  They are a little sticky.  I guess from the honey.  And they didn't harden like I would have liked.  Maybe done with 1/4 cup honey would have been better.  I don't know.  I'd love to hear from some of you more experienced than I in the kitchen.  So I experimented and came out with a tasty, but not perfect cookie. I'm sure even Picasso had some less than stellar projects.  =)

Healthy-er No Bake Cookies
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
3 Tablespoons Cocoa (I used the dark chocolate cocoa)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Natural Jif Creamy Peanut Butter
1/4 cup milled flax seed
1/4 cup wheat germ
3 cups Oatmeal (I used "Old Fashioned")
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Combine sugar, honey, cocoa, and milk in a large sauce pan.  Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter.  Add flax seed, wheat germ, and oatmeal.  Stir well.  Drop tablespoon sized lumps onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.  Allow to cool for 1 hour before devouring.

If you'd like to try the regular version....

2 cups sugar
3 Tablespoons Cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oatmeal

Combine sugar, cocoa, and milk in a large sauce pan.  Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter.  Add oatmeal.  Stir well.  Drop tablespoon sized lumps onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.  Allow to cool for 1 hour before devouring.

6 comments:

  1. Healthy...it sounds good to me! I must give these a try...so thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love me some no-bake cookies, i haven't had them in years so i think it's about time i whip some up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by to say hello! Love the cookies :)

    Hope you can stop by What's Cooking Wednesday again to link up one of your recipes :)

    Cristi
    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love no-bake cookies. They are to die for! I may have to try this because it's no fun feeling guilty after eating a couple (or more!) of these. Thanks for sharing and for being brave enough to experiment with the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd enjoy your version since the amount of sugar used in the original recipe always made me twinge a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you used flaxseed and wheat germ in these!
    Now a follower.


    Kelli
    aka MaMa
    Joseph's Grainery
    www.josephsgrainery.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails