Monday, October 11, 2010

Homemade Vanilla Wafers





Yay!  It's week #2 of the official Month of Cookies on At Home With Haley!!!  A few weeks ago I featured a recipe for homemade vanilla wafers on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try #1.  I was so anxious to try them!  We were invited to some friends house for dinner and I offered to bring a desert.  It didn't take me long to know that I wanted to take BANANA PUDDING with HOMEMADE VANILLA WAFERS! =D  Aside from chocolate, could anything be better?  I'm thinking not. So I pulled up Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker, went to her recipe for the cookies, and got to work.  First, I will say that this recipe was incredibly easy!  It is about as dummy proof as you can get.  It also uses ingredients that everyone keeps in their homes all the time.   No need to run to the grocery store to buy something special for one recipe.  They were delicious!  They don't taste like the cookies from the box.  They are better!  They have this great buttery flavor and a crispy texture.  I know that you must be wondering how they did in the banana pudding.  Well...I prepared the dish at 1pm and we ate the pudding around 8pm.  The cookies were still fresh and crispy!!!!!!  No soggy cookies in the entire pudding!  I was very pleased, to say in the least.  So THANK YOU Harried Homemaker!  You made my day!  


Don't forget to come back on Wednesday for the very first "Recipes I Can't Wait to Try" linky party!!!!!!

Here is the recipe word for word from the Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker blog.

Homemade Vanilla Wafers: 

1 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, large
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.  Combine the flour and powder and mix in.  Using the tiniest ice cream scoop known to man (or a 1/2 tsp measuring spoon), scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet.  (I used a silpat.  If you have one, I recommend using it)  You should get about 20-24 cookies on a pan.  Bake 350 degrees for 10+ minutes.  Let their color be your guide to their doneness.  You want brown edges and tan, crispy cookies.

7 comments:

  1. Those vanilla wafers looks so good and even better that they're homemade and don't have all those preservatives of store-bought cookies. I'll definitely return to link up for Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vanilla wafers. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh -- this is a recipe that I'll have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I am doing a cookie/week project with my kids...I might have to try these next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So yummy! That just may save me from buying so many for my family!

    I'd love for you to stop by What's Cooking Wednesday to share a recipe each week! We'd love to have you :)

    Hope to see you there!
    Cristi
    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never considered making these from scratch!

    Thanks for linking up to What's Cooking Wednesday! Hope to see you again next week!

    Diane
    www.turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails